Thursday, April 26, 2012

Let the second half begin...

I am already over the half of my internship, so let the second half of an exciting and crazy period begin! In this week's blog: crazy weather conditions in Cold Spring, trying to get back in shape by running and meeting David Duchovny on the set of Californication in New York City.

Monday, 16/04/2012

When looking through the weather forecasts for that week, I barely realized how warm it was going to be that week. Here is a screenshot of the weather forecast of my iPhone. As you can see, crazy weather. Mark said that this weather is unusual for the time of the year. The year before, the average temperature was 15-16° Celsius. This year on the other hand, the average has increased by 7°C.

As you can see the temperature for monday rose to 32(!) degrees. Some weather forecast can be inaccurate in guessing the temperature, but that day they didn't lie. It really was insanely hot outside, while in Belgium temperatures were allegedly fluctuating between 10-11° C.

That day we had, instead of regular tuesdays, a meeting with B&B Pools and Spa during which we discussed the results of Hubspot and the new postcards. Back at the office, I worked on some school work concerning my management report, while Mark had to leave earlier as he had to pick up his children from school.

Tuesday, 17/04/2012


That day I had to go to the city by myself to attend the 'CO-OP and Condo Expo' in the Hilton Hotel. The expo wasn't really related to Marketing and advertising, moreover it was about Building management, security systems, insurance companies...

This expo was related to Enviro Tech Services (ETS), a client we are dealing with in California specialized in organic degreasers. I had to go in an acquire more information about what's already out there, what is used to clean large apartments and offices.

Afterwards I went for something to eat, McDonalds and headed back home afterwards. By the time I got in Cold Spring it was around 7pm, headed back home went for a delicious 3-cheese Pizza in the restaurant. After diner I watched the movie 'Inside Job' which is a really interesting movie on the scandals in Wall Street, the global crisis in 2009 and the big exuberant salaries of the consulting companies and banking services in Wall Street.

Wednesday, 18/04/2012


Just like any other wednesday we had a radio show hosted by Doctor Richar Huntoon. The show was a telephone phone interview with Susan Koening, about walking properly and how we can all benefit from doing everyday tricks to improve this. Unlike most wednesdays, we only had one radio show to host. So by 11am we were back in the office to prepare for a meeting with K-bear in the afternoon.

The meeting was a very interesting one as we did the goal-setting process for the company. After which we started doing a SWOT-analysis in which we assessed the internal Strengths and Weaknesses as well as the external opportunities and threats. It was a very interesting meeting for me as this is crucial for my Management report.

As the weather was so nice that day, I went for a run in the evening. It was a nice run alongside a new parcours I have mapped out. Afterwards I went for a nice dinner in the restaurant and read in the biography of Steve Jobs afterwards.

Thursday, 19/04/2012


On thursday I was alone at the office, as Mark had a doctor's appointment in the morning and a meeting/interview with clients in the afternoon. That day I also overslept myself a bit, so I checked in later  at the office, just in time to receive a call that the meeting Marc had scheduled for this afternoon were cancelled and to be rescheduled.

Nothing special happened that day. I was working on some work for school combined with work for the office. In the evening I went for another run to blow of some steam. I ran 6k in a little more than 30 minutes. I have to say that I felt really great afterwards!

Friday, 20/04/2012


On friday we had our second meeting scheduled with K-Bear at 2 o'clock in the afternoon, in which we finished the goal setting process and continued on the SWOT analysis. Again this was a very interactive meeting where I got to give some input in the conversation. I learned a lot from this meeting and can't wait until the following meeting.

It was a perfect day who didn't end very well as my iPhone 4 fell down on the ground while exiting the car. Result: glass was scattered. An enormously huge bummer! Luckily I went to the city on saturday to get the glass replaced in the Apple store. Here is a photo of the scattered screen.


Saturday, 21/04/2012


I already planned ahead this day on thursday as I, while reading through my tweets, came across an interesting tweet that Californication was filming in the city on saturday. Also FC Barcelona was playing 'El Clasico', a game I wouldn't miss for the world.

I arrived in the city around noon and went straight to the Apple store in Grand Central to check my iPhone. When you have a broken screen, they don't replace the screen on the premises, they just replace your phone with a new one. This service isn't free of course, I had to pay a price of 160$, which btw was totally worth.

Afterwards I headed to the set of Californication to see the legendary Hank Moodie in action. As time was nearing 2pm, I headed to a local pub to see FC Barcelona in action. Too bad of course the game (and probably the title) was won by Real Madrid. It wasn't just the season of FC Barcelona.

During the game Alexandre came to join me to have a few beers and grab a bite to eat. Afterwards we went looking for the set of Californication, and found it eventually. They were shooting the life of Hank Moodie before moving to California. So good news for the fans: there will be a 6th and probably a 7th season.

Once on the set, I got to see the legend myself. And even have a picture with him, which is just awesome!! Without further or due, here are the pictures.









Afterwards we went visiting the set of 'Kill your darlings' where we spotted the one and only Harry Potter. Too bad he didn't want to take a picture with his biggest fan lol. It was really nice seeing David Duchovny (Hank Moody), Karen and Daniel Radcliffe.

I returned back home around 9pm and went to bed almost immediately as I had to wake up early to pick up Marshall at JFK Int'l Airport at 7am.

Sunday, 22/04/2012


During the night, it was a stormy night: wind was blowing, the sky was pouring rain, and lightning & thunder made the whole picture complete. Luckily for me I slept through all that and woke up fresh and lively at 5u30am. Lucky for me it was a sunday and there was almost no traffic on the road. It took my about 1h30 min to arrive at JFK. I picked up Marshall and we were soon back on our way too Cold Spring. On the road he told me about his week and California, who was jam-packed with meetings. He also let me now he would go back to JFK the same day to pick up a client from California later that day.

Even though it was a sunday and raining as hell, I decided to go with him to the office and afterwards to JFK. Here are some pictures of how rainy and cloudy the day was that day; it was insane. Btw I had to drive in this weather on the New York highways.

   

We picked the client up around 5pm and drove to Pelham Heights where his uncle lived. Once there we were invited a little snack, which turned out the be a nice dinner. The uncle was Asa Aarons, who is a famous reporter for CBS. The food was really great, so was their hospitality.

Afterwards I drove back to Cold Spring in the pouring rain, on very bad constructed roads with almost no lights on the road. Luckily we made it safe and sound in Cold Spring. It was a rather normal week, but a weekend where I got to see three celebrities!

Stay tuned for more stories!

No comments:

Post a Comment